This little pile of balled-up yarn used to be a blanket on my bed. It was one I’d made a couple of years ago to try out a new-to-me popcorn stitch, made up with bits and pieces of re-used yarn from an unpicked old giant granny square blanket I’d originally made long before I moved to London (and I’ve been living here for well over 16 years) coupled with odds and ends of other yarn left over from other projects.
For a while I was happy enough with the finished popcorn stitch blanket. I’d deliberately tried experimenting with intentionally using up all the bits and pieces of yarn I had lying around regardless of where in a row I ran out and changed colour – an anomoly which I eventually found to be a bit jarring on the eye at times – and there also were a few suspect colours I feel didn’t really work out as well as I’d hoped in the mix. But I’d set myself the challenge and wanted to see it through, and once it was completed… well, it seemed a shame not to live with it just as it was, after having put all that time and effort into it.
It certainly kept us wonderfully warm over the last few winters, but for ages now I’ve been itching to undo it and re-use the yarn (some of it for a third time!) to make a ‘new’ blanket in a different, less yarn-hungry stitch, but this time be more choosy over which colours I leave out and how creatively and artistically I use those I do keep in. So yesterday I bit the bullet and my poor old blanket found itself unravelled in its entirety and is now sitting stripped down to its component parts, shivering in a precarious mound of potential once more, waiting for new inspiration to strike…
Watch this space…! 🙂